NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The Adrian College women's volleyball team fell to St. Mary's College on Friday, Oct. 5 in a non-conference rematch with the Belles after defeating them in MIAA play a week ago. The loss snaps a three-match winning streak for the Bulldogs.
Final Score: St. Mary's 3, Adrian 1, (25-8, 25-19, 24-26, 26-24)
Location: Notre Dame, Ind. (Angela Athletic and Fitness Center)
Records: St. Mary's 10-10 (1-2 MIAA), Adrian 9-8 (2-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was all St. Mary's in the first set, dominating Adrian on the way to a 25-8 victory in the set, including a seven-point run in the middle of the set.
The second set was much closer throughout than the first, but the Belles were able to pull away late and win the set 25-19 to extend their lead to 2-0.
It was a different story in the third set, as Adrian was able hold a five-point lead in the set when it went up 19-14. Despite a valiant comeback attempt by St. Mary's the Black and Gold were able to hold on for the 26-24 set win to get on the board.
St. Mary's started to pull away again in the fourth set, but Adrian kept battling and tied the set late. After being knotted up at 24 the Belles were able to take the next two points to with the set 26-24 and the match 3-1
• Sophomore Alex Tobler led the Bulldogs' offense with 17 kills and was second on the squad in digs with 20.
• Sophomore Liz Susitko was Adrian's leader in assists, racking up 30 in the match while also contributing nine digs.
• Senior Olivia Welch led the defensive effort with 27 digs.
• Nicole Lukens led the St. Mary's offense and defense with 20 kills and 24 digs.
• Morgan VanderWey led the Belles in assists with 54.
• Audrey Shannon was close behind Lukens in digs with 23.
The Bulldogs are on the road Saturday, Oct. 6 when they play Olivet. They return home next Wednesday when Alma comes to town on Oct. 10. The match is slated to begin at 6:30 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #BulldogProud | #GoDawgs