WOOSTER, Ohio – The Adrian College women's volleyball split in day two of the Ginny Kilt Classic on Saturday, Sep. 15. The Bulldogs lost to Bethany (W.V.) 3-1 before beating Marietta in five sets.
Final Score: Bethany 3, Adrian 1 (25-19, 25-14, 18-25, 25-11)
Adrian 3, Marietta 2 (25-23, 20-25, 15-25, 25-20, 15-11)
Location: Wooster, Ohio (Timkin Gymnasium)
Records: Adrian 5-6 (0-0 MIAA), Bethany 6-5 (0-0 PAC), Marietta 7-7 (0-0 OAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED – vs. Marietta
The first set was an even battle throughout the majority of the set, with Marietta pulling away in the later stages. Adrian didn't give up, and battled back to tie the set at 20-20. The momentum stayed with the Bulldogs and they were able to take a 1-0 lead in the match by winning the set, 25-23.
The second set was similar to the first, with the set being tight early on. Once again, the Pioneers started to pull away midway through the set. But this time the Black and Gold could not make the comeback they needed, and dropped the set, 25-20.
Marietta continued to apply pressure to AC in the third set, jumping out to an early 12-5 lead. The Bulldogs tried to mount a comeback but the Pioneer held onto their lead, increasing it at the end of the set and winning 25-15.
With their backs to the wall the Black and Gold found themselves down early in the fourth set. There was no quit in the Bulldogs though, and they mounted an impressive 8-1 run late in the set to take the lead, ultimately winning the set 25-20.
For the second day in a row, Adrian found itself in a fifth set. The Bulldogs started to pull away from the Pioneers in the later stages of the set and didn't look back, taking the final set 15-11 to end the Ginny Kilt Classic on a high note.
*STATISTICS NOT AVAILIBLE FOR MATCH AGAINST BETHANY*
• Senior Olivia Welch led the Bulldogs in kills, with 16. She also contributed 18 digs and had two service aces in the match. Welch was tabbed as Adrian's All-Tournament player.
• Sophomore Liz Susitko was Adrian's leader in assists, setting the offense up 39 times. Susitko also finished the match with 12 digs and led the team in service aces with three.
• Junior Megan Prsa led the defensive effort for the Bulldogs, finishing the match with 19 digs, while also serving up two aces.
• Sam Ritenour led the Marietta offense with 12 kills.
• Maddie Nader led the Pioneers in assists with 30.
• Marietta's defense was led by April Davis and Braya Elsea with 20 and 19 digs, respectively.
The Bulldogs open MIAA play on Tuesday, Sep. 18 when they host Trine in the home opener. The match is slated for a 6:30 start.
#GoBulldogs | #BulldogProud | #GoDawgs