ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College softball team was swept by Hope College in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play on Saturday, April 13. The Flying Dutch took game one 4-1 before securing the sweep with a 5-4 victory in game two.
Game One Scoreline: Hope: 4-8-0 | Adrian 1-8-1
Game Two Scoreline: Hope 5-8-1 | Adrian 4-9-3
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Adrian College Softball Field)
Records: AC 15-15 (3-7 MIAA), HC 17-7 (5-3 MIAA)
Hope led the day off with a double over the centerfielder's head and then scored the first run of the day when the next batter up singled up the middle to score the runner from second. The Flying Dutch tacked on three more in the top of the third when a double to the gap in right center scored a runner from second and put runners on second and third. A sac fly to center scored the runner from third and the runner on second scored during the next at bat when a wild throw from third base missed its target at first.
The Bulldogs' lone run in the first game came in the bottom of the fifth when junior Madison Budde sent one over the fence in left. Adrian couldn't get anything else going offensively despite racking up eight hits in game one, falling 4-1.
Adrian got on the board first in game two, bringing home three runs in the top of the second. Budde reached on a fielder's choice and touched home for the second time on the day when junior Infinity Rogers doubled to left center. Her twin sister, Destiny Rogers, was up next and singled through the left side of the infield to put runners on the corners before Destiny swiped second. Both sisters came around to score on the next at bat when sophomore Jamie Bell ripped a single up the middle.
The Flying Dutch got two back in the bottom of the third with back-to-back RBI doubles, putting them within one. They would ultimately tie the game in the next inning when a single that made it through the left side scored the runner from second, who got on via a dropped fly in right. Hope took the lead for the first time in the second game in the bottom of the fifth when a muffed grounder with two outs to second scored a runner from second.
AC tied things up itself in the sixth with a two-out run of its own. I. Rogers singled to right to start the inning and advanced to third on a sac bunt and an infield groundout. She came around to touch the plate when junior Hope Kapelanski singled past the pitcher for the RBI. The lead didn't last long though, as a two-out double from Hope in the bottom half of the inning scored a runner from first in what would prove to be the last run of the game.
There was a scary moment at the end of the game when Budde took a ball to the face while batting. She was up to bat with two outs in the top of the seventh, and was the Black and Gold's last chance. With two strikes, she swung at the next pitch and barely nicked it, causing the ball to come up and hit her in the mouth. Fortunately, she was able to get up under her own power and seemed to be fine. She was removed from the at bat for precautionary reasons, and senior Natalia Younan came in to hit, popping out to third to end the game.
• Budde had the big home run in game one and Bell led the team with two RBIs, both in game two.
• Bell had four total hits to lead the team, while I. Rogers had three. Senior Paige Cubberly finished with two hits, both doubles in game one.
• Cubberly started game one and took the loss, giving up four runs (three earned) on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts in four innings of work. Sophomore Emily Baldus relieved her to start the fifth and only gave up two hits while striking out one in the final three innings. Baldus started game two and went four innings, giving up three runs (two earned) on six hits with a walk and a strikeout in a no decision. Freshman Natalie Mathers took the loss, giving up two runs (one earned) on two hits with a walk and a strikeout in the final two innings.
• Stephanie Dixon had three RBIs to lead Hope and finished the day with four hits.
• Arrin King also had four hits over the two games and Shay Pinhey had three hits.
• Chloe Haskins started game one and went five innings, giving up the home run and five total hits with three strikeouts for the win. Avery Slancik finished the game off and gave up two hits, two walks, and two strikeouts in two innings for the save. Megan Soderbloom started game two and went three innings, giving up three runs on seven hits for no decision. Janelle Baar got the win with four innings of work that saw her give up one run on two hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
Adrian is back in action on Thursday, April 18 when Kalamazoo comes to town to start three consecutive days of home doubleheaders for the Bulldogs. First pitch in game one with the Hornets is scheduled for 3 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACSB | #BeGreat | #LilDubs