BEREA, Ohio – The Adrian College softball team was swept for just the second time this year, falling in both games to Baldwin Wallace University on Sunday, April 7. The Yellow Jackets dominated game one, 7-0, and won on a walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh to complete the sweep, 5-4.
Game One Scoreline: Baldwin Wallace 7-9-1 | Adrian 0-2-0
Game Two Scoreline: Baldwin Wallace 5-10-2 | Adrian 4-5-0
Location: Berea, Ohio (BW Softball Field)
Records: AC 14-12, BW 25-3
It was all Baldwin Wallace in the first game, as the Yellow Jackets put two up in the bottom the first to take the yearly lead. Adrian threatened in the fourth with runners on second and third but two strikeouts neutralized the threat. BW picked up its five other runs of the game in the fifth, with a single up the middle with one out and a two-out double making it 5-0. The final runs of the game were scored on the next batter, with an inside the park home run. Baldwin Wallace's pitching shut down the Bulldogs' bats all game, only allowing two hits in game one.
Adrian opened the scoring in game two, putting three runs on the board in the second. Junior catcher Hope Kapelanski singled to center with one out and then scored later when classmate Destiny Rogers ripped a single down the line in left. Jamie Bell was up next and singled up the middle, scoring Rogers and her sister, Infinity Rogers, who was on third from Destiny's single.
Baldwin Wallace got one back in the third when it singled with one out and then stole second, coming home on a double to the gap in left center on the next at bat. The Yellow Jackets then tied it up and took the lead in the fifth, with a three-run inning. A pair of singles to start the inning advanced to second and third on a sacrifice bunt and then came around to score on a double to left center, tying the game. The Yellow Jackets took the lead shortly after when a sac fly to right scored a runner from third.
The Bulldogs didn't trail for long, and tied things up in the sixth. Senior Paige Cubberly doubled to start the inning and sophomore Jalyn DeForest came in to run for her. The next two batters popped out in the infield, keeping DeForest from advancing. I. Rogers was next up and doubled down the leftfield line to score DeForest from second.
The game entered the seventh inning tied and AC was unable to pull ahead. Baldwin Wallace started the bottom half of the inning with a single, and advanced her to second with a sac bunt. An intentional walk and a single then loaded the bases for BW. The next batter up made contact with the ball and singled, winning the game for the Yellow Jackets and handing the Black and Gold their second sweep of the season.
• Bell, and the Rogers sisters picked up the RBIs in game two, with Bell finishing with two RBIs.
• I. Rogers got one of two hits in the first game and picked up a second one in game two to finish as the only Bulldog with multiple hits on the day. Her and Cubberly's hits were both doubles, the only extra base hits for AC.
• Freshman Lauren McCulligh started game one and gave up two runs on four hits with a walk and two K's in 1.2 innings for the loss. Cubberly pitched in relief and gave up five runs on as many hits with three strikeouts in 4.1 innings. Natalie Mathers pitched all of game two, with the freshman giving up five runs on 10 hits with two walks and three strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work for the loss.
• Alex Kozich had a total of five RBIs in the two games, hitting the inside the park home run in game one, and Ashley Matousek added four, one in the first game and three in game two.
• Macy Leach and Erica English had the other two RBIs for BW, with Leach picking up two in game one.
• Nikki Camarati improved to 15-1 on the year with her complete-game win in game one, only giving up two hits and two walks while striking out an impressive 15 Adrian batters. Abby Cosart pitched all of game two, giving up four runs (only one earned) on five hits with two walks and a strikeout to get her eighth win of the year.
Adrian returns home to open a five-day homestand, with the first doubleheader being against Calvin College on Wednesday, April 10. First pitch in game one with the Knights is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Adrian College Softball Field.
#GoBulldogs | #ACSB | #BeGreat | #LilDubs