ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College softball team wrapped up the 2018 season with a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader against Hope on Saturday afternoon. The Flying Dutch pulled off a sweep to keep the Bulldogs out of the MIAA tournament while cementing their own place among the top-four teams in the conference.
Final Scores: GM 1: Hope 2, Adrian 0 | GM 2: Hope 7, Adrian 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (AC Softball Field)
Records: Hope (25-8, 11-5 MIAA), Adrian (16-20, 8-8 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: Hope def. Adrian, 2-0
The Flying Dutch managed a run in both the 1st-inning and 4th-inning while holding the Bulldogs scoreless for a 2-0 game one victory. Sydney Jones (W, 13-3) struck out 17 Adrian bats to lead Hope on the day.
Game Two: Hope def. Adrian, 7-0
All seven runs were scored by the Flying Dutch in the first three innings of game two. Hope scored twice in the opening inning, four times in the second, and once in the third. Similar to game one, Adrian struggled against Jones who got the start in game two also. Seven Bulldog hitters went down from strikes in game two as Hope's pitching kept Adrian off the board.
• Rebecca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich.) started both games for Adrian. She allowed three hits, two runs, and struck out three in 7.0 innings of work in game one. She gave up four hits and six runs in two innings in game two.
• Loren Vail pitched 4.0 innings of relief in the second game of the day. She permitted three hits and one run.
• Hayley Reitsma led Hope in game one with a solo home run.
• Reitsma also tallied a three-run homer in the second game to lead the Flying Dutch.
• Jones finished with 24 strikeouts in 12.0 innings pitching to pick up both wins.
• Katie Singer pitched two innings in the final game, allowing one hit and striking out four.
SEASON WRAP UP
Adrian's season comes to an end with a final record of 16-20 overall and 8-8 in the MIAA. The team improved by three conference wins over last season and was just two wins short of clinching a spot in the MIAA tournament.