ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College women's soccer clinched the 2019 MIAA Women's Soccer Regular Season title and first-seed for the MIAA Tournament, after blanking Albion College 2-0 to wrap up the regular season. With this victory, the Bulldogs will have strong shot at an at large bid for the NCAA Tournament, currently ranked fifth in the NCAA Regional Rankings.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Albion 0
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Docking Stadium - Adrian College)
Records: Adrian 14-4-2 (7-1 MIAA), Albion 7-6-2 (4-3-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The opening half was uneventful, with each team owning a shot. The Britons had the only shot on-goal in the stanza.
Again off to a slow start, it took the Bulldogs nearly 20 minutes to break the ice on goal scoring. With the game-winning goal was junior Megan Louwers, sending an impressively long shot, nearly 33 yards, under the crossbar and into the goal. M. Louwers received the ball from classmate Mya Oleksiak, who intercepted a Briton passing attempt at midfield and flicked it up to her.
The Bulldogs put the game out of reach in the 85th minute, as Sara Lee added her name to the stat sheet. Raquel Church deked a pair of defenders in order to pass the sophomore the ball from outside the box, where she picked it up and sent it dead on goal. The shot, originally saved, was too strong for Albion's goalie to gain control of and found its way in the back of the goal.
- "It's a testament to the team that they were able to put the celebration on hold and perform under difficult circumstances tonight. Albion came in fighting for a home game in the tournament, and they've proven this year to be one of the top teams in the MIAA. For us, it's a quality win that ensures that we'll retain momentum going into the conference tournament."
- "As much fun as it was last year being the underdog, the challenge of having a target on our backs this year was one that we knew would require us to be at our best. We overcame a ton of serious injuries in the beginning of the season, but as the season has worn on, this group has continued to rise to every challenge. We are thrilled to add that third star to the crest, and we're looking forward to competing against a strong MIAA Tournament field next week."
- Megan Louwers garners the top spot, as she recorded the game-winning goal after a scoreless 65 minutes.
- Sara Lee, who also had an impressive goal to close out the regular season.
- The duo of Mya Oleksiak and Raquel Church who posted the evening's only assists.
- Junior Kristen Page, collecting her third shutout of the season, making two saves in the process.
Adrian College will take full advantage of its first round bye, able to sit out this weekend and focus on the MIAA Semifinals, taking place on Nov. 5 as it plays host to the winner of the Albion v. Alma matchup at 7 p.m.
#BulldogProud #GoDawgs #GDTBAB