ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College women's soccer secured a spot in the MIAA top-2, a quarterfinal bye and a home game in the semifinals with its win over Trine University in Saturday's Senior Day contest. Also in the victory, senior Caroline Fleming clinched the title of most prolific helper in program history, with her 30th career assist.
Final Score: Adrian 4, Trine 0
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Docking Stadium - Adrian College)
Records: Adrian 13-4-2 (6-1 MIAA), Trine 3-8-3 (0-5-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Prior to the contest Adrian held a ceremony to honor its six seniors.
"This is a senior class that genuinely ranks up among the best to ever play at Adrian. For these players, no role was too big and no role was too small... each of them has sacrificed for the good of the team, and our steady rise over their four years are a testament to what they bring on and off the field. They will be missed, but we aren't done yet!"
It took just over 20 minutes for the Bulldogs to post their first tally of the game, which proved to be the eventual game winner. The goal was recorded as Fleming sent a corner kick into the box, where it was met by the swift foot of Angela Davis.
Adrian would maintain the one goal lead well into the second half, before extending it to two in the 66th minute. A goal that was almost waived off, Eve Davis hit the inside of the crossbar before the ball hit the goal line and bounced out. E. Davis received the ball from Molly Safreed in front of a chaotic Thunder net.
It took just four minutes before Oleksiak was at it again, posting her second goal of the day at 83:27, this time fed the ball off a Brooke Teska corner insert.
Adrian absolutely dominated the stat sheet, posting 16 shots to the Trine's one. It also led the categories of shots on-goal (9-0) and corner kicks (16-3).
Happy with the win, head coach Ali Alamdari had this to say, "These were three vital points against an organized team that came off of a come-from-behind draw against Calvin, so we knew we had to play with urgency and take advantage of our chances. It took a while for us to get the second goal, but we were pleased that we didn't stop pressing until we had the game in hand."
- Bulldogs will see a first round bye in the MIAA tournament, while hosting their semifinal match.
- This current squad became the highest scoring team in school history, the last time the title switched hands was in 2011.
- Fleming leads the program in assists (30), while ranking third in points (102).
- Angela Davis posted the game-winning goal in the 21st minute, for her third tally of the season.
- Mya Oleksiak with her pair of goals to push the Bulldog lead to 4-0.
- Also with a goal for the Bulldogs, Eve Davis who ranks second on the team in scoring with 10 goals.
- Adrian's defense, allowing just one shot through the entire 90 minutes, giving up no shots on-goal.
The Bulldogs remain at home, as they close out the regular season with a 7 p.m. conference matchup with Albion Tuesday.
#BulldogProud #GoDawgs #GDTBAB