ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's soccer team pummeled St. Mary's 9-0 on homecoming weekend. The Bulldogs set a new program single-game record with nine goals scored and tied with seven assists. Caroline Fleming led Adrian scoring six points (2g, 2a) in the game.
Final Score: Adrian 9, St. Mary's 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (7-4-1, 4-3-1 MIAA), St. Mary's (1-9, 0-8 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian had several chances to score early but St. Mary's keeper, Thallia Robles (L, 1-7), made some big stops to keep the game scoreless.
Kirsten Chambers gave the Bulldogs the 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute when she scored off assists from Mya Oleksiak and Caroline Fleming. Oleksiak would score a goal of her own in the 23rd minute when she headed the ball into the net off a failed clear attempt from the Belle defense.
Mackenzie Wilcox would increase the Adrian to 3-0 after scoring off a through pass from Oleksiak in the 29th minute. The Bulldogs would score three more times in the opening half; Kimberly Lindberg (31st minute) off an assist from Fleming, Fleming (32nd), and Raquel Church (44th).
Adrian tallied 19 shot attempts in the first half while holding the Belles to only three. The Bulldogs also had four corner kicks in the opening half.
Two of the three Adrian goals in the second half were scored by Emma Gordon. Her first goal happened in the 50th minute off a corner kick by Lindberg. That goal was the first of her college career. She tallied her second career goal shortly after that in the 63rd minute. Tha goal was off an assist from Church. The final Bulldog goal came from Fleming--her second of the game--off an assist form Chambers.
• Seven different Bulldogs scored a goal in the game.
• Fleming and Gordon were the only two Adrian players to score more than one goal in the game.
• Five Bulldogs scored at least one goal and one assist: Fleming (2g, 2a), Oleksiak (1g, 2a), Church (1g, 1a), Chambers (1g, 1a), and Lindberg (1g, 1a).
• Ayverie Giller (W, 7-3-1) saved the one shot she faced in the game to earn her fourth shutout of the season.
• Cedella Breitenstein was the only St. Mary's player to record a shot on goal for the game.
• Callie Doyle and Megan Saunders each had a shot attempt.
• Robles saved nine of the 18 shots she faced in the game.
Adrian will remain at home on Wednesday, October 4 to host Alma in MIAA action. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., ET.