ADRIAN, Mich. - Adrian College women's soccer won 2-1 in the teams 2017 season opener at home against John Carroll on Friday night at Docking Stadium. Senior Mackenzie Wilcox erased a 1-0 deficit by scoring two goals in 23 seconds in the first half to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead that the team maintained for the remainder of the game.
Final Score: Adrian 2, John Carroll 1 - FINAL
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (1-0), John Carroll (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams had early chances in the opening half, but both goalkeepers responded to make the stops. John Carroll cracked the scoreboard first in the 23rd minute of the first half when Bailey Fischer beat her mark and scored to put the Blue Streaks ahead, 1-0.
Adrian sophomore Claire Baghera launched a corner kick that glanced off John Carroll keeper, Rhianna Guarnera, and Wilcox finished the play to tie the score at 1-1. The senior from Battle Creek, Michigan finished off her night with a beautiful sliding kick that beat Guarnera to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead at the 30:33 mark of the first half.
Adrian finished the game with seven total shots (6 SOG), six corner kicks, and seven fouls. The Blue Streaks tallied 11 shots (4 SOG), seven corner kicks, and seven fouls. Adrian goalkeepers made five saves (Giller 4, Kristen Page 1); Guarnera had two saves.
• Wilcox's two goal night was the only the second time she has scored multiple goals in a game (she scored two goals against Alma last season on Sept. 12, 2016).
• Caroline Fleming was active on offense for Adrian with three shot attempts.
• Giller (W, 1-0) recorded her first career win in goal for the Bulldogs while making a game-high four saves.
• Fischer scored the lone goal for John Carroll. She had a game-high four shots (4 on goal).
• Justina Fortson also contributed on offense with three shots (2 on goal).
• Guarnera (L, 0-1) saved two of the four shots she faced.
Adrian will host another Ohio Athletics Conference opponent tomorrow when Ohio Northern (0-1) visits. The game is scheduled for a 1:00 p.m., ET kickoff at Docking Stadium.