ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's soccer team fell to Hope, 3-1 in it's first Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association loss of the season. The Flying Dutch's first goal came in the 11th minute of the game when a corner kick would be deflected off the goalie and the ball bobbled around the penalty box before Hope's Allie Wittenbach put the ball in the net.
"We felt a bit unfortunate that our keeper wasn't protected on the first goal, but I was very proud that our girls remained committed to the battle even when we were a bit unlucky to go down 1-nil," Head Coach Ali Alamdari said following the game. "As we continue to grow this season, I think matches like this will serve us well. The second half in particular demonstrated that we're capable of playing with anyone, so we'll trust the process as we navigate an extremely challenging part of the schedule to grind out as many points as possible.
Final Score: Adrian 1, Hope 3
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (2-2-1, 0-1-1 MIAA), Hope (2-1-1, 1-0-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Adrian 1, Hope 3
• Wittenbach scored the first two Hope goals in the first half to give the Flying Dutch the 2-0 lead
• Elizabeth Perkins would renew the Hope two goal lead in the 31st minute off a bender in the top right corner of the net. Adrian goalkeeper Ayverie Giller read the bender perfectly but the ball just grazed her fingertips and slid into the net
• The Flying Dutch kept the ball at the Bulldog end of the field for much of the first half, outshooting Adrian 16-2 in shots (7-2 in shots on goal)
• Giller tallied four saves in the first half
Second Half: Adrian 1, Hope 3
• The Bulldogs did a great job of limiting chances for Hope in the second half, only allowing nine shots for the Flying Dutch (four on goal), while doubling their shot output from the first half and adding one shot on goal
• Haley Barnes was put in net for Adrian in the second half. She recorded four saves to bring the team total to eight saves for the match
• Farah scored the lone goal for Adrian in the first half (her third goal of the season)
• Lindberg tallied the only assists to give her two on the year. She also had two shots on goal in the match, a team-high
• Wittenbach had two goals on six shots (three on goal) for Hope
• Goalkeeper Mary Clare Theis tallied four saves while facing five shots on goal
• The Bulldogs will look to gain their first win in MIAA play on Monday, September 12 when they host the Scots of Alma College. Game time is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.