SYLVANIA, Ohio – The Adrian College women's lacrosse team won its season opener 15-11 over Lourdes University on Wednesday, Feb. 27. The win gives head coach Brett Asher a victory in his first game from behind the Bulldogs' bench.
Final Score: Adrian 15, Lourdes 11.
Location: Sylvania, Ohio (Wildcat Stadium)
Records: AC 1-0, LU 2-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
The first half was rather tame compared to the second half, but Adrian scored two goals in the opening minute and added another in a player-up situation from the free position halfway through the first to extend its lead to 3-0. Lourdes quickly tied it back up with three goals in a row of its own, before the teams traded goals to make it 4-4. The Bulldogs got another goal with a player-up with 4:16 remaining in the half to take a 5-4 lead into the break.
Offense was much more abundant in the second half, and Adrian once scored early and often, putting home four shots in the first four minutes to extend its lead to 9-4. The Gray Wolves then scored seven of the next nine goals to knot the game at 11 with 8:02 remaining. That would be the last time Lourdes found the back of the net, as the Black and Gold rattled off four goals in the last five minutes, all during player-up situations, to take the season opener 15-11.
• Freshman Olive Stevens led the Bulldogs' offense with four goals and added four draw controls.
• Senior Annie Rice also had four points, scoring twice and picking up two helpers.
• Senior goalie Hannah Emerson made 10 saves in the win.
• Tiara Reed and Ashley Hunt each had four goals, with Reed adding three assists for a game-high seven points.
• Reed also led Lourdes in draw controls, finishing with five and Brianna Budd finished with three ground ball possessions.
• Goalie Jacque Pappadakes made 13 saves in the loss.
• "It was a great battle against a very tough opponent. Credit to our players, they kept fighting and dug deep when Lourdes tied it up. We have a very young team so to finish with composure in our first game together was great to see." - Head Coach Brett Asher
• "Olive Stevens, Annie Rice and Gwyneth Carlson really did a good job battling on the draw circle in the second half and that is what swung the momentum for us. We also did a great job taking care of the ball in the second half and getting quality shots. I'm very proud of our team's effort on both ends of the field." - Asher
The Bulldogs have their home opener on Monday, March 4 when Ohio Wesleyan comes to town. The game is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Docking Stadium.
#GoBulldogs | #EarnIt