ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College women's lacrosse team earned its first win of the season 17-3 against Wilmington (Ohio) on Saturday afternoon. Seniors Jenna Carter (Canton, Mich.) and Mariesa Johnson (Algonac, Mich.) led the Bulldogs with four goals each in the win.
Final Score: Adrian 17, Wilmington (Ohio) 3
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (1-3), Wilmington (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Johnson ignited a 3-0 run for Adrian when she scored in the opening three minutes of the game to put the Bulldogs up 1-0. Alex Branum (Easton, Pa.) and Maddie Nicholas (South Lyon, Mich.) followed with free position goals to bring the Adrian advantage to 3-0.
Wilmington (Ohio) responded with two goals to cut the lead to one with just over 11 minutes remaining in the half.
Gwyneth Brodbeck (Lake Orion, Mich.) scored next for Adrian to extend the lead to two (4-2) and sparked five straight Bulldog goals to end the half 8-2. Johnson scored her second goal of the game with 8:26 left to put the score at 5-2. Carter scored two of her four goals to before and after Annie Rice (Reisterstown, Md.) tallied the seventh goal of the game.
Adrian scored twice in the opening minute of the second half. Gabriella Storin (Neenah, Wis.) scored with only 29 seconds gone in the second. Brodbeck scored off an assist from Carter to give Adrian a 10-2 lead. Carter scored her third and fourth goals of the game back-to-back to push the Bulldog advantage to 12-2. Johnson scored twice more and Rice recorded another goal before the Quakers got on the board for the third time with 6:57 remaining.
Amanda Tuckey (New Hudson, Mich.) scored her first goal of the season with 4:21 left on the clock. Rachel Smestad (Grand Rapids, Mich.) scored the final goal of the game--her first of the season--off a free position shot with 1:25 left in regulation.
• Carter and Johnson both tallied seven shots on goal. Carter also added six draw controls and two ground balls to her stat line. Johnson finished with seven ground balls (team high), three draw controls, and four caused turnovers.
• Rice had a game-high eight ground balls while also hauling in two draw controls and causing a game-high five turnovers.
• Carter, Rice, Storin, and Brodbeck each earned an assist.
• Hannah Emerson (Commerce Twp., Mich.) (W, 1-3) made one save to earn her first win of the season between the pipes.
• Becca Petra scored twice for the Quakers in the losing effort.
• Hannah Gratsch tallied the lone assist for Wilmington.
• Megan Wieloch (L, 1-4) saved 15 of the 32 shots she faced in net.
Adrian will remain at home to host Mount Union next Saturday, March 17 at 12:00 p.m., ET. It will be the third meeting between the two teams.