DELAWARE, OHIO - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team were defeated by Ohio Wesleyan 19-9 on Saturday afternoon. Jenna Carter (Canton, Mich.) and Annie Rice (Reisterstown, Md.) each scored a hat trick to lead the Bulldogs in the losing effort.
Final Score: Ohio Wesleyan 19, Adrian 9
Location: Delaware, Ohio (Selby)
Record: Ohio Wesleyan (1-1), Adrian (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Ohio Wesleyan took a quick 2-0 lead in the opening two minutes of the game. Carter scored her first goal of the game with 25:21 left in the first half to cut the deficit to one goal. The Battling Bishops surged ahead 8-1 by scoring the six straight goals. Carter would complete her hat trick in the first half with goals with 14:08 and 11:10 left in the half.
Mariesa Johnson (Algonac, Mich.) scored the only other goal for the Bulldogs in the first half with 3:09 remaining before the intermission to put the score at 11-4--where it would stay until the second half.
Adrian started the second half hot scoring three of the first four goals to cut the OWU lead to five, 12-7. Rice scored twice and Alex Branum (Easton, Pa.) the third goal of the half. The Battling Bishops scored four more times before Johnson tallied her second goal of the game with 14:43 left to play to put the score at 16-8, OWU. Rice scored the final goal for the Bulldogs to complete her hat trick with 7:19 left in regulation.
• Carter scored her three goals on four shots on goal.
• Rice tallied her hat trick on five shots on goal. She also hauled in six ground balls, six draw controls--both team-highs--as well as three caused turnovers.
• Johnson's two goals came from a team-high eight shots on goal. She also registered three ground balls, three draw controls, and a caused turnover.
• Sloane Baumgartner scored a game-high six goals and four caused turnovers for OWU.
• Mickey Rice tallied four goals in the win.
• Hope Poolos had a game-high six ground balls.
Adrian will return home to host Wilmington (Ohio) on Saturday, March 10 at 5:00 p.m., ET.