SEWANEE, TENN. - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team lost a close game against Berry at Sewanee 13-12. Junior Annie Rice (Reisterstown, Md.) led the Bulldogs with her first hat trick of the season.
Final Score: Berry 13, Adrian 12
Location: Sewanee, Tennessee (Puett Field)
Records: Berry (3-1), Adrian (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The teams traded scored for the first four points of the game for a 2-2 tie with just over 16 minutes left in the first half. Rice scored first for Adrian with 19:03 remaining before halftime. Freshman Hannah Roegner (Huntington Woods, Mich.) scored the second Bulldog goal with 16:19 left on the clock.
Berry scored three straight goals to take a 5-2 lead before Jenna Carter (Canton, Mich.) sparked three straight goals for Adrian to tie the game at five goals. Rice scored after Carter for her second goal of the game and cut the deficit to one (5-4). Alex Branum (Easton, Pa.) finished off the scoring for the Bulldogs in the first half. The Vikings would score once more before the half to take a 6-5 lead into the locker room.
Branum would score her second goal to start the second half and tie the game at six. Gwyneth Brodbeck (Lake Orion, Mich.) scored next to give Adrian its first lead of the game, 7-6. Gabriella Storin (Neenah, Wis.) extended the Bulldog lead to two, 8-6, by scoring a goal with 26:53 left in the game.
Berry scored the next five goals to take an 11-8 lead with just under 21 minutes left in regulation. Rice completed her hat trick with 19:50 left on the clock. Mariesa Johnson (Algonac, Mich.) scored just over two minutes later to bring the Bulldogs within one goal of tying the game.
The Vikings scored with 15:40 left to increase their lead up to two goals. Carter scored 30 seconds later to cut the deficit to one goal. Berry tallied its last goal with just over six minutes left to play to bring the score to 13-11.
Brodbeck scored a goal with 2:48 remaining to bring the game to 13-12 but Adrian ran out of time before the tying goal could be scored.
• Rice finished with three goals and one assist while registering six shots on goal. She scooped up two ground balls, had three draw controls and caused two turnovers.
• Carter scored twice on five shots on goal. She finished with one draw control and one caused turnover.
• Branum and Brodbeck also had two goals. Branum also had a ground ball and a draw control; Brodbeck tallied three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
• Amanda Tuckey (New Hudson, Mich.) and Roegner led Adrian with five ground balls. Roegner had a team-high three caused turnovers.
• Hannah Emerson (Commerce Twp., Mich.) (L, 0-2) made four saves in the game.
• Rose Blanchard led the Vikings with five goals.
• Ella Makin and Keiley Ayers each had five ground balls. Ayers also had a game-high 14 draw controls.
• Shadae Williams led Berry with three caused turnovers.
The Bulldogs will finish off the road trip this Saturday, March 3 when they take on Ohio Wesleyan at 1:00 p.m., ET.