SEWANEE, TENN. - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team dropped the season-opening game on the road against Sewanee on Sunday afternoon. Alex Branum led the Bulldogs scoring on all three of her shot attempts.
Final Score: Sewanee 21, Adrian 5
Location: Sewanee, Tennessee (Puett Field)
Records: Sewanee (2-1), Adrian (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Sewanee jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the opening five minutes of the contest. Senior Alex Branum (Easton, Pa.) cut the deficit to one goal when she scored, unassisted, with 26:18 remaining in the opening half.
The Tigers would extend the lead to 5-1 before junior Annie Rice (Reisterstown, Md.) would tally a goal for Adrian with just over 16 minutes left in the first. Sewanee scored the next four goals to push the advantage to 9-2 before Branum would complete her hat trick with two consecutive goals and cut the lead to five.
The Tigers scored the final three goals of the first half to hold a 12-4 lead entering the intermission.
The Bulldogs lone goal in the second half came from senior Mariesa Johnson (Algonac, Mich.) scored with 26:09 left in regulation. Sewanee tallied nine goals in the second to put the game away.
• Branum added a ground ball and a draw control to her stat line.
• Rice finished with one goal and one assist with three shots on goal. She also led Adrian with four ground balls and three caused turnovers.
• Sophomore Amanda Tuckey (New Hudson, Mich.) and freshman Hannah Roegner (Huntington Woods, Mich.) each contributed three ground balls. Roegner also added two draw controls and a caused turnover while Tuckey added one draw control and one caused turnover.
• Preston Cooper led the Tigers with four goals.
• Molly Elkins had a game-high two assists.
• Grace Fulton hauled in 10 ground balls.
• This was the seventh meeting between Sewanee and Adrian in women's lacrosse. The Bulldogs currently lead the overall series 4-3, however, the Tigers have won the past two meetings with today's win.
• Adrian is 4-7 all-time in season openers (4-6 in road openers).
Adrian will face Berry on a neutral field at Sewanee on Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 p.m., ET.