ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team rallied in the second half, but fell just short in a 19-15 loss to St. Mary's on "Senior Day." Emily Smith was the leading scorer for the Bulldogs with four goals.
Final Score: St. Mary's 19, Adrian 15
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: St. Mary's (10-6, 7-1 MIAA), Adrian (5-9, 4-4 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• St. Mary's responded by scoring 12 of the next 16 goals in the half to take a 12-6 lead into the locker room at the intermission.
• The Belles scored the first two goals of the second half, increasing the lead to 14-6, the largest lead of the game.
• Adrian scored six of the next seven goals, trimming the St. Mary's lead to just three, 15-12.
• The teams would trade goals for the remainder of the half as the Belles were able to hold off the Bulldogs, 19-15.
• Smith scored four goals to lead Adrian's offense in the losing effort.
• Rice and Nuler each tallied a hat trick in the game. Rice also dished two assists, scooped up two ground balls and caused two turnovers.
• Nuler added four ground balls, two draw controls, and two caused turnovers to her stat line.
• Cares scored twice and led the Bulldogs with five draw controls.
• Mariesa Johnson contributed two goals and an assist.
• Branum scored once and tallied a ground ball and one caused turnover.
• Mary Singler scored a game-high five goals. She also recorded six ground balls and two caused turnovers.
• Kate Kelly scored three times and had one assist. She tied Singler for the game-high six ground balls while also hauling in six draw controls.
• Kendra Osinski scored four times for the Belles.
• Clare Theisen scored twice, led all players with four assists and nine draw controls.
• The Bulldogs finish the season in a three-way tie with Albion and Kalamazoo for the fourth spot in the league standings.
• Per the league rules, the tiebreaker would eliminate Adrian from the MIAA tournament due to the Bulldogs having the lowest goal differential of the three squads.
• St. Mary's secured the second spot in the standings with the win and will host Hope in the semifinal round of the MIAA tournament; Calvin will host Albion.