ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team fell at home to league-leader Calvin College 16-5 on Tuesday afternoon. Mariesa Johnson led the Bulldogs with two goals and one assist in the losing effort.
Final Score: Calvin 16, Adrian 5
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Calvin (9-5, 7-0 MIAA), Adrian (5-7, 4-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Calvin scored six goals before Adrian was able to crack the scoreboard with 17:49 left in the half. The Bulldog goal was scored by Annika Nuler.
• The Knights would add another five goals to bring the lead to 11-1 before Johnson scored her first goal in the final four minutes of the half to cut the Calvin lead to 11-2.
• The Knights hit paydirt four more times, extending the lead to 15-2 with just over 10 minutes remaining in regulation.
• Calvin scored once more before Adrian's Johnson tallied the final score of the game off a free position shot with 38 seconds left to play.
• The Knights dictated play, outshooting the Bulldogs 38-13 in the game.
• Adrian struggled to clear the ball out of its defensive end going 9-18 in clears.
• Johnson (2), Cares (1), Nicholas (1), and Nuler (1) were the Adrian goal scorers.
• Alex Branum had a team-high two assists in the game. Johnson added the third Bulldog assist.
• Cares was the team leader in groundballs.
• Annie Rice led Adrian with two caused turnovers.
• Kelly Pepper (5), Emma Tilma (3), and Emily Cefaratti (3) each tallied a hat trick for Calvin.
• Pepper also led the Knights with three assists.
• Tilma had a game-high seven groundballs.
• Madeline Baas led all in draw controls, hauling in 13 for the game.
• Despite the loss, the Bulldogs are still alive in the race for the post-season as they sit in the fourth spot in the league standings.
• With the win, the Knights claim the MIAA regular season championship and the right to host the MIAA tournament in May.
• Adrian travels to Kalamazoo for the final road game of the regular season on Thursday, April 27. The game is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. start time.