ADRIAN, MICH. - The Adrian College women's hockey team opened the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) Slaats Cup Quarterfinals with a dominate 4-0 win over Marian University on Friday night. Bulldog freshman goalie Kate Turner (Houston, Texas) completed her 10th shutout of the season by making 23 saves.
Final Score: Adrian 4, Marian 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Adrian (20-5-1), Marian (7-19-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian tallied 17 shots in the opening period and was able to beat Marian goalie Lindsey Strainis (L, 6-18) once to take a 1-0 advantage into the first intermission. The lone goal of the period was scored by freshman Sydney Daversa (Southgate, Mich.) off an assist from Olivia Fox at 11:25 of the first period.
Another freshman, Brooke Schembri (Canton, Mich.) scored a power-play goal at 9:45 of the second period that sparked a three-goal outing after 40 minutes of play. Sophomore Kelly O'Sullivan (Inverness, Ill.) and junior Hannah Dalrymple (Ellie, Manitoba) registered assists on the play.
The final goal of the game was scored in the final four minutes of the second period from sophomore Brianna Buchanan (Livonia, Mich.) that gave the Bulldogs a lead that proved to be insurmountable for the Sabres. Sophomore Maggie Mitter (Howell, Mich.) and junior Kortney Diaz (Walled Lake, Mich.) were credited with an assist on the goal.
Adrian finished with a staggering 43 shots on goal while Marian tallied 23 shots on goal. The Bulldogs defense held the Sabres to just seven shots in the first period and six in the second. The Adrian power-play proved effective in the game as the Bulldogs scored once on their three man-up advantages. Marian failed to score on any of its five power-play opportunities.
• Daversa's goal was her fifth of the season and her first career game-winner. She finished the game with a +1 rating and tallied three total shots on goal.
• Schembri scored her eighth goal of the season (2nd PP goal) on her only shot of the game.
• Krasofsky pushed her season goal total to 16 as she continues to be the leading goal scorer for Adrian this season.
• O'Sullivan ties senior Kristi Zink (Canton, Mich.) for a team-high 20 assists on the season with her dish on the Bulldogs insurance goal in the second period. She also recorded a game-high seven shots on goal.
• Turner's 10th shutout puts her in sole possession of the program's top mark for season shutouts, surpassing Brittany Zeches 2012 season total of nine.
• Paige Johnson led Marian with five shots on goal. She was also the Sabres primary faceoff specialists, winning 10 of her 18 faceoffs.
• Katie Meierotto finished with four shots on goal.
• Strainis saved 39 of the 43 shots she faced in net for Marian.
These two teams will meet tomorrow in game two of the NCHA Slaats Cup Quarterfinals. The Bulldogs will advance to the semifinals with a win or tie in game two; the Sabres must win the game to force a mini-game and have a shot at advancing. The opening puck drop for game two is scheduled for 6:00 p.m., ET.