DULUTH, Minn. - The Adrian College women's hockey team swept the two-game weekend series at St. Scholastica with a 3-0 shutout victory on Saturday afternoon. Sydney Smith scored twice on the power play and Lexie Tzafaroglou had three assists to lead the team to victory.
The Bulldogs have only allowed three goals in the last seven games, the longest stretch of games for Adrian in which only three goals were surrendered since the 2014-15 season when the team only allowed three goals in a six-game stretch.
Final Score: Adrian 3, St. Scholastica 0
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Records: Adrian (19-2, 16-0 NCHA), St. Scholastica (10-8-2, 7-5-2 NCHA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Period: Adrian 1, St. Scholastica 0
• Adrian took a 1-0 lead after Smith scored a power-play goal off an assist from LTzafaroglou 14:52 in the first period.
• The Bulldogs dictated play in the opening period, outshooting the Saints 16-5.
Second Period: Adrian 3, St. Scholastica 0
• Smith scored her second goal of the game, also on a power play, at the 7:27 mark of the second period. Tzafaroglou tallied her second assist on the play.
• The Bulldogs edged the Saints in shooting for the period, 9-7 (25-12 through two).
Third Period: Adrian 3, St. Scholastica 0
• Adrian tightened up on defense, only allowing St. Scholastica one shot on goal for the period. The Bulldogs outshot the Saints 41-13 for the game.
• The Bulldogs were 2-5 (.400) on the power play; the Saints were 0-5.
• Tzafaroglou led the team in points with three (0,3).
• Smith (2,0) scored two points in the game.
• Mitter (1,0) and Robertson (0,1) each tallied one point.
• Jade Walsh (W, 10-1) saved all 13 shots she faced on the way to the shutout, her first of the season and 11th of her career.
• Alexia Klaas led the team with four shots on goal.
• Emily Stegora and Sierra Hanowski each had two shots on goal.
• Lindsey Hartfiel (L, 4-7-2) saved 38 of the 41 shots she faced.
• The Bulldogs return home to host Northland in a two-game weekend series on Friday and Saturday, February 10 and 11.
• These are the final two home games of the season with Saturday's matchup being senior day for the Bulldogs.