ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team saw its season end on Saturday, April 6 with a three-set loss to Fontbonne University. The season ends as the most successful in program history, with the Bulldogs finishing with a winning record for the first time ever.
Final Score: Fontbonne 3, Adrian 0 (25-2, 25-16, 25-21)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: AC 16-14 (4-5 MCVL), FU 23-2 (7-2 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Fontbonne started to pull away early in the first set but Adrian kept the set close. The largest lead the Griffins had was five, but AC fought back to make it a two-point set. Ultimately Fontbonne went on to re-extend the lead to five, taking the first set, 25-20.
Adrian took it to the visitors in the beginning of the second set, holding a 12-9 advantage before the Griffins were forced to call timeout. That timeout was the spark Fontbonne needed, as it went on a 16-4 run to come back and take the set, 25-16.
The Griffins controlled the third set early and didn't relinquish the lead, with AC only able to tie the set three times. Fontbonne led by as many as six before the Black and Gold rattled off five straight, forcing Fontbonne to take a timeout again. Adrian tied it up soon after, at 19-19 and 20-20, but only picked up one more point as the Griffins closed the match out with a 25-21 victory in the set.
• Junior Noah Marcinkowski was the only Bulldog with double digit kills, finishing the match with 14.
• Junior Joseph Campana picked up 36 assists in the match.
• Junior Kevin Curley had a match-high eight digs to lead the defense.
• Four Griffins tied for the team lead in kills with nine – Emir Hadzisalihovic, Mark Klusman, Brendon Schwartze, and Josh Farley.
• Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell had 36 assists.
• Zach Rothstein had seven kills while Hadzisalihovic and Schwartze each picking up five bloxk assists and Schwartze adding a solo block.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall