ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team won back-to-back matches in straight sets on Friday night, Feb. 15, beating Maranatha Baptist 3-0 in match two of the Bulldogs' doubleheader. The win marks eight on the season for AC, tying last year's program-high since becoming an NCAA sport in 2016.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Maranatha Baptist 0 (25-17, 25-22, 25-16)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: AC 8-5, MBU 0-10
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian dominated in the first set, hitting .265 to Maranatha Baptist's .027. The Bulldogs never trailed, cruising to a 25-17 set victory. Junior Noah Marcinkowski and senior Mike Gold led Adrian with four sets each in the first set.
The second set was tougher to win for the Bulldogs, as the Sabercats outhit AC, .179 to .143. Adrian opened a four-point lead midway through the set but allowed MBU to fight its way back and take the lead at 14-12. AC went on a small run of its own to retake the lead and the rest of the set was neck-and-neck, with Adrian getting four of the last five points to take the set, 25-22.
Adrian was determined to finish both matches tonight in three sets and never trailed in the final set, continuing to increase its lead as the set went on, winning by nine, 25-16. Marcinkowski's serving was hot in the third set, picking up three of his career-high service aces in the final set. That ties the mark set by senior Eduardo Aleman last season for most in a match in program history. Marcinkowski's four aces are the most in a three-set match, eclipsing the previous mark of three, set twice – Aleman and classmate Tyler Porras from 2017 and 2016, respectively.
• Marcinkowski and senior Michael Burkhardt tied for the team lead in kills with 10 and Marcinkowski's four service aces tie the program record. Burkhardt's hitting percentage of .714 is second most in a single game in program history. He's hitting a career-high .419 so far this year, which is .100 higher than the current program record of .315 he set a year ago.
• Junior setter Joseph Campana picked up 24 assists for the second time tonight.
• Campana and junior Kevin Curley led the team with eight digs each.
• Derek Wallis led Maranatha Baptist with 10 kills.
• Taylor Dafoe assisted on 24 points.
• Wallis also led the team in digs, with 10.
Adrian heads across town to take on rival Siena Heights on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 7:30 p.m. The Bulldogs' next home match is on Wednesday, Feb. 27 against Goshen, with first serve scheduled for 7 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall