ADRIAN, MICH. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team won three straight sets to bring down Olivet 3-1 on Tuesday night in the Merillat Sports and Fitness Center. Noah Marcinkowski (Menifee, Calif.) tallied a double-double with a match-high 20 kills and 10 digs.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Olivet 1 (26-28, 25-17, 25-21, 25-18)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (5-8), Olivet (4-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian took an early 13-5 lead in the opening set, but Olivet cut the deficit to just one point after three runs of 3-0, 2-0, and 4-0 run put the score at 15-14 and forced the Bulldogs to call a timeout. Adrian maintained a slim lead until the Comets rallied and tied the score six times before finally taking a 27-26 lead and scoring the final three points to take a 1-0 lead. Marcinkowski led the Bulldogs with seven kills in the set. Kevin Curley (Zion, Ill.) and Michael Burkhardt (Whitehall, Pa.) each tallied four kills. Mike Gold (Fenton, Mich.) had a team-high two blocks.
The Comets kept the score close for much of the second set, but the Bulldogs were able to outpace Olivet and pull off a 25-17 win in set two to tie the game at one game apiece. Marcinkowski added six kills to his match total in the second set. Curley finished by adding three and Burkhardt tallied two while leading the team with three blocks. Kyle Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) and Marcinkowski led the defense with four digs each in the set.
The third set was tied six times (the final time was at 15) before the Bulldogs jumped out to a six-point lead, 22-16. Olivet cut the lead to two points (23-21) before Adrian finished the set 25-21 to pull ahead 2-1. Marcinkowski led offensively for the third straight set with five kills. Curley led the team with eight digs and Burkhardt totalled two blocks.
Adrian used a 4-0 run in the middle of the set to take a commanding 17-9 lead before pushing the lead to nine, 23-14. The Comets scored four of the final six points to finish with 18 points but gave the match-point to Adrian on a service error to end the match. Burkhardt helped close out the match, leading the Bulldogs with five kills in the fourth. Joseph Campana (Los Angeles, Calif.) had a set-high six digs in the final set of the match.
• Scoring leaders for Adrian were: Marcinkowski (20 kills), Burkhardt (14), and Curley (13).
• Campana paced the attack with a season-high 47 assists. He also recorded nine digs and one block.
• Defensive leaders for the Bulldogs were: Bell (13 digs), Curley (13), and Marcinkowski (10).
• Burkhardt finished with a match-high six blocks while Gold tallied five.
• Karl Deichman (11 kills) and Brock Pringle (10) led the Comets attack.
• Aaron Giorgi set the tone with 36 assists while also contributing defensively with seven digs.
• Tanner Gardenour had a team-high 12 digs.
• Logan Blough led Olivet with five blocks.
Adrian will host Siena Heights on Saturday, March 10, for game two of a six-match homestand. The match is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m., ET.