GREENVILLE, ILL. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team split in a tri-match at Greenville on Saturday afternoon. The Bulldogs started the day with a win over Greenville in three straight sets (25-19, 25-23, 25-16) before falling against Robert Morris (Ill.) in three sets (25-18, 25-15, 25-21). Kevin Curley and Noah Marcinkowski led Adrian on the day with 19 kills each.
Final Scores: Adrian 3, Greenville 0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-16) / Robert Morris (Ill.) 3, Adrian 0 (25-18, 25-15, 25-21)
Location: Greenville, Illinois (Recreation Center)
Record: Adrian (3-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian used hitting percentages of .355, .400, and .280 to win over the Panthers in game one. The Bulldogs put themselves in a great position to gain an early 1-0 lead after building a 24-15 lead in the first. Greenville scored four straight points to cut the lead to five points before Adrian took the set.
The Panthers had the lead throughout the second set until the Bulldogs score the final five points to take set two and earn the 2-0 lead.
Adrian finished the match by gaining an early advantage and maintaining it throughout the third to take the 3-0 win.
In game two of the afternoon, Robert Morris built an early 8-1 lead in the first set before obtaining a 1-0 lead.
The Bulldogs came out firing in the second, building a 4-0 lead before the Eagles scored six points to recapture the lead. Robert Morris kept the lead throughout to gain the 2-0 advantage.
The teams traded leads a few times early in the third until Robert Morris gained the lead for good and closed out the match with a 25-21 nod in the third.
• Curley tallied 11 kills in the first game and eight in the second for his two-match total of 19. He also recorded nine digs on the day.
• Marcinkowski led the Bulldogs in game one with 12 kills. He added seven in the second game for his total of 19. He also finished with 13 digs on the day.
• Avery Johnson had six kills and an impressive 11 total blocks (5 solos, 6 assists).
• Joseph Campana paced Adrian with 36 assists in game one and 25 assists in game two for a total of 66 for the afternoon.
• Michael Burkhardt contributed with 11 kills.
• Kyle Ward led the Panthers in kills with 10. Tanner Smith led Greenville with 35 assists. Logan Dameris tallied five digs.
• Colby Magorien led Robert Morris with 13 kills and nine digs. Bobby Ying tallied 18 assists.
Adrian hosts Olivet on Saturday, February 24. The match begins at 1:00 p.m., ET.