ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team rallied from a 2-0 deficit to force a decisive fifth set, but couldn't complete the comeback as the Panthers were able to take a 15-5 decision to seal the 3-2 victory. Joseph Campana paced the Bulldog attack with 45 assists--a season-high total for him in that category and just three short of tying his career high.
Final Score: Greenville 3, Adrian 2 (25-21, 25-22, 22-25, 15-25, 15-5)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Greenville (3-1), Adrian (0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian tied the score at six after Greenville jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead to start the opening set. With a 10-7 deficit, the Bulldogs went on a 4-0 run to take their first lead of the set, 11-10. The teams traded points to tie the game at 12 before the Panthers went on a 5-0 run to take the lead 16-12. Adrian would cut the lead to three before Greenville used another 5-0 run to build the lead to eight points, 21-13. The Bulldogs would score eight of the next 12 points but would surrender the first set to the Panthers, 25-21.
The second set would be tied 12 times and Greenville used runs of 2-0, 3-0, and 3-1 to win the set 25-22 and take a 2-0 lead.
The Bulldogs rallied in the third set, hitting .429 as a team and using a 4-0 run to take the lead on the way to a 25-22 win and cut the deficit to 2-1 in the set score.
Adrian used the momentum in the third to build a quick 3-0 lead in the fourth. The Panthers would eventually tie the game a nine and again at 10 before the Bulldogs used runs of 3-0 followed by two 5-0 runs to gain a 23-13 lead and take the fourth 25-14 to force a fifth and final set.
Greenville started the fifth with two 4-0 runs to take an 8-3 lead when the teams switched sides. After trading points, the Panthers finished the match with a 6-0 run to seal the victory 15-5 and take the match 3-2.
• Noah Marcinkowski finished with 20 kills, two service aces, and 15 digs. His kill and dig totals led the team.
• Kevin Curley recorded career-highs with 19 kills and four block assists. He also had a season-high 13 digs in the losing effort.
• Campana added 12 digs, four kills, and one block to his season-high assist number.
• Kyle Bell contributed on defense with 10 digs.
• Marc Gonzalez led the Panthers with 15 kills. He also added 10 digs.
• Kyle Ward and George Black finished with 14 kills.
• Tanner Smith led the team with 11 digs and Isaiah Canales led with five blocks.
Adrian will start a five-match road trip next Friday, February 2, when they face Olivet at 7:00 p.m., ET.