ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team clinched the second seed in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association tournament after a 2-0 win over Trine on Wednesday night. Austin Andres scored his first career goal, a game-winning goal, in the 62nd minute.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Trine 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (9-5-2, 8-3-2 MIAA), Trine (5-6-5, 3-6-4 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs outshot the Thunder in the first half, 10-6 (4-1 SOG), but neither team was able to put the ball into the net resulting in a scoreless opening 45 minutes.
Austin Andres put Adrian on the board in the 62nd minute after scoring off a free kick from Jordan Miller. The Bulldogs would get an insurance goal a little over a minute later when Zach Combs scored on a sliding kick from a Tad Davis pass.
The final shooting tally was 17-9 (7-3 SOG) in favor of Adrian. The Bulldogs also had an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
• Zach Combs had a game-high three shots on goal.
• Spencer Brown (W, 6-2-2) saved all three shots he faced to complete his third shutout victory of the season.
• Bill Wilson, J.T. Plavchak, and Chris Clemens each had one shot on goal.
• Quinn O'Brien (L, 1-3-4) saved five of the seven shots he faced in the losing effort.
• Wilson and Plavchak were the only Trine players to have multiple shot attempts with two each.
With the win, the Bulldogs clinch the second seed in the MIAA tournament and will host the number three seed, Hope, on Wednesday, November 1.
Adrian will host Hope this Saturday, October 28 at 12:00 p.m., ET. That game will be the final game of the regular season.