ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team improved to 3-1 in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play after a 1-0 victory over Albion on Saturday night. Goalkeeper Spencer Brown (W, 1-0) saved all eight shots he faced to keep the Britons off the scoreboard and record his first shutout win of the season.
Final Score: Adrian 1, Albion 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (4-3, 3-1 MIAA) Albion (4-3-1, 1-3 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Brandon Katona broke the deadlock late in the first half with a header off a long throw-in by teammate Jordan Miller to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead in the 39th minute. Both teams had seven shots in the opening half and also tied with three shots on goal in the first 45.
The Britons pressed the attack in the second half, outshooting Adrian 10-3 in the final 45 minutes of the game. Brown had to make a few spectacular saves to preserve the narrow Bulldog lead.
Albion had the edge in shots (17-10) on the night. The Britons also had eight of their shots on goal, while Adrian recorded five. Both teams had two corner kicks in the game.
• Katona scored the lone goal in the game on two shot attempts, both on goal. The goal puts his season total at two which is tied for the most on the team.
• Miller tallied his first assist of his Bulldog career.
• Brown made his first start for Adrian in the net count. He returned from an illness that had him out to start this season.
• Erik Vanfossen led Albion with three shot attempts, two of which were on goal.
• Aaron Smit (2 shot attempts), Kyle Johnson (1), Will Colborn (3), Kay Whitmore (1), Dakota Clapper (2), and Parker Brown (1) each tallied one shot on goal.
• Maximillian Loria (L, 4-3-1) saved four of the five shots he faced.
Adrian will host Alma in a rematch of the 2016 MIAA Semifinal game on Wednesday, September 27. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., ET.