ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team won its season opener 2-0 over Augustana (Ill.) on Sunday afternoon at Docking Stadium. Brandon Katona (junior, Detroit, Mich.) opened the scoring for the Bulldogs in the victory.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Augustana (Ill.) 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (1-0), Augustana (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian dictated the pace of play from the opening whistle as the Bulldogs came out on the attack early and kept the pressure on the Vikings throughout regulation. Junior Tad Davis (Trenton, Mich.) had an early shot in the game that went wide. Freshman Jordan Miller (Toledo, Ohio) had a shot that was stopped by Augustana goalkeepr, Jeff Bell at the 10:00 mark.
Katona scored the game's first goal in the 31st minute. Davis served up a pass that allowed Katona to shimmy past his mark and put the ball inside the goal posts to give Adrian the 1-0 lead. The score would remain 1-0 through halftime. At the intermission, the Bulldogs had 10 shots (2 on goal) to the Vikings three shots (2 on goal). Adrian also had four corner kicks in the opening half, Augustana had none.
Garrett Miller (sophomore, Grand Blanc, Mich.) gave the Bulldogs a cushion with his first goal of the season in the 61st minute of the game. The score would remain 2-0 until the final buzzer sounded. Five players were booked in game (three for Augustana and two for Adrian) in a physical contest. The final shot tally was 16-4 in favor of the Bulldogs. The Vikings finished with four save (Adrian had two). The Bulldogs tallied 10 corner kicks to Augustana's four.
• Katona scored his first goal of the season and the 14th goal of his Adrian career.
• Garrett Miller tallied his first goal of the 2017 campaign.
• Davis dished an assist and also attempted three shots.
• Jack Dalzachio (W, 1-0) made his debut in goal for the Bulldogs saving both shots that he faced in the first 45 minutes of play.
• Four players for the Vikings attempted a shot, Matt Allen and Jack McKearnan each had a shot on goal.
• Bell (L, 1-0) saved four of the six shots he faced.
Adrian will remain at home when they host Michigan-Dearborn next Saturday, September 9. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., ET.