ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team opened its season with a 94-82 win over Defiance at home on Saturday, Nov. 10
Final Score: Adrian 94, Defiance 82
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian 1-0, Defiance 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian was up 46-35 at the half, thanks in large part to junior forward Jeremy Kalonji's 15 first half-points. His classmate, Tre'Shon Heard also had double digit points at the break, scoring 11 points. The Bulldogs were shooting 51.4 % from the floor in the first and held the Yellow Jackets to just a 32.3% mark.
The Bulldogs never lost the lead in the second half, and sophomore guard Jordan Harris put up 11 points in the second half to give him an even 20 for the game. Adrian finished the game shooting 53.1% and 41.7% from beyond the arc. The Bulldogs won the turnover battle, only giving the ball away eight times to Defiance's 17, and AC scored 28 points off those turnovers. The Black and Gold also made use of a physical style of play, outscoring the Yellow Jackets 44-18 in the paint.
• Kalonji led the team in points and rebounds, with 23 points and 11 rebounds.
• Harris had the hot-hand from three-point land, making four deep balls in the contest.
• Heard facilitated the offense and finished with seven assists.
• Freshman forward Dontez Rayner made an impact in his first game, leading the team with three offensive rebounds and finishing with 15 points.
• Davontae Kinne led Defiance with 16 points.
• Tyler Andrew led the Yellow Jackets with nine rebounds.
The Bulldogs return to action next Friday when they host Anderson (Ind.). Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.