NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team rallied to force a fifth and final set but were unable to complete the comeback, falling at St. Mary's on Wednesday night. Carly Thomas led the Bulldogs with a career-high 17 kills in the losing effort.
Final Score: St. Mary's 3, Adrian 2 (23-25, 25-21, 25-23, 22-25, 15-9)
Location: Notre Dame, Indiana (Angela Ath-Wellness)
Records: St. Mary's (7-7, 4-4 MIAA), Adrian (3-12, 3-4 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs took an early 1-0 lead in the match after a 25-23 win in set one in which Adrian had to battle back from a seven-point deficit.
The lead was 10-7 in favor of the Bulldogs in the second, but St. Mary's rallied to earn the win and tie the match at one all.
The third was close throughout as neither team was able to build a lead larger than three points. The Belles were able to pull out the 25-23 win and put Adrian on the ropes with a 2-1 set lead.
The Bulldogs never trailed in the fourth set and were able to force a deciding fifth after a 25-22 win in the fourth.
St. Mary's scored five straight points to take a 12-7 lead in the fifth to seal the match for the Belles.
• Thomas added one assist, two service aces, seven digs, and three block assists to her team-leading stat line.
• Liz Susitko also set a career-high with 48 assists to pace the Bulldog attack.
• Haley Mellon tallied led the defense with 28 digs. She also tallied her first double-double of the season as she added 10 assists to her totals.
• Maddie Maloney and Thomas led Adrian with three blocks.
• Marielle Corbett (27) and Nicole Lukens (19) each had double-digit kills for the Belles.
• Morgan Vanderway had a match-high 57 assists.
• Audrey Shannon led both sides with 46 digs on the night.
• Rachel Bonek (13), Nicole Lukens (18), and Corbett (20) each had double-digit digs.
Adrian will return home to host Alma next Tuesday, October 3. The scheduled start time is set for 6:30 p.m., ET.