ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team kept pace with Hope throughout the match, but the Flying Dutch were able to slip past the Bulldogs for a 3-1 win on Saturday afternoon. Alex Tobler (freshman, Buchanan, Mich.) led Adrian with 11 kills in the losing effort.
Final Score: Hope 3, Adrian 1 (25-21, 25-23, 21-25, 25-23)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: Hope (5-2, 3-0 MIAA), Adrian (1-6, 1-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Hope built an early five-point lead in the opening match (9-4) before Adrian rallied to tie the score at 10. Both teams would trade leads until the Flying Dutch were able to pull ahead and take a 1-0 lead with a 25-21 set one decision.
The Bulldogs led for the majority of set two. With the score 23-21 in favor of the Bulldogs, Hope scored four straight points to survive the set and take a 2-0 lead in the match.
Adrian got the better of Hope in the third, winning the set by a score of 25-21, to cut the deficit to one set, 2-1.
The Bulldogs cut down a six-point Flying Dutch lead and eventually tie the score at 22. With the score tied at 23, Hope was able to squeeze out two points to end the set and take the match 3-1.
• Tobler added four digs to her team-high 11 kills in the match.
• Carly Thomas (sophomore, Fishers, Ind.) also tallied double-digit kills with 10. She also had three service aces, seven digs, and three block assists.
• Liz Susitko (freshman, West Bloomington, Mich.) paced the Adrian offense with 34 assists. She also added five kills and 16 digs to a complete, all-around performance.
• Haley Mellon (senior, Adrian, Mich.) led the Bulldogs defensively with a match-high 27 digs to bring her season total to 176 (25.14 digs per match average). She also recorded four service aces and three assists.
• Junior Olivia Welch (Vicksburg, Mich.) contributed 12 digs, four kills, and four service aces.
• Haley Muller led the Hope offense with 18 kills.
• Sophie Hackett set the tone for the Flying Dutch with 44 assists.
• Mallory Luke tallied 24 digs to lead the defense.
Adrian will finish off its three game home stand on Wednesday, September 13, when the Bulldogs host Albion in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association match. The match is set to begin at 6:30 p.m., ET.