ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College softball team was swept by cross-town rival Siena Heights in a Monday afternoon doubleheader at the AC Softball Field. The Saints won 9-1 after 5-innings in game one before pulling out a 7-6 win in game two.
Final Scores: Siena Heights sweeps Adrian, 9-1 (5-innings) & 7-6
Location: Adrian, Michigan (AC Softball Field)
Records: Siena Heights (10-6), Adrian (8-12)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: SHU 9, Adrian 1 (5-innings)
Siena Heights took a quick 2-0 lead with a two-run second inning. The Bulldogs cut the lead to just one run (2-1) in the third off an RBI single down the left-field line by Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.).
The score remained 2-1 until the top of the 5th-inning when SHU scored seven runs to push the lead to 9-1 before finishing the game after holding Adrian scoreless in the bottom of the inning.
Game Two: SHU 7, Adrian 6
Adrian took a 2-0 lead in the bottom half of the 1st-inning. Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) scored Bell with a double to left center to give the Bulldogs the 1-0 lead. Three batters later, Courtney Young (Lansing, Mich.) singled up the middle to score Branscum for the inning's final tally.
The lead increased to four in the 4th-inning when Infinity Rogers (Sand Creek, Mich.) hit a solo home run to left center that gave Adrian a 3-0 lead. Natalia Younan () singled to center field three batters later to score Destiny Rogers (Sand Creek, Mich.).
The Saints tied the game at the top of the 5th-inning by scoring four runs, two of which came on a home run to right field by Ashely Helmink.
Jaime Lightner (Eaton Rapids, Mich.) doubled to left-field to score Younan in the bottom half of the 5th-inning to regain the lead, 5-4. D. Rogers singled to center field, scoring Lightner for the 6-4 lead.
Kelsey Cherry and Hayley Turk each hit solo homers in the 6th-inning, tying the game at six.
The final run of the game came from SHU in the 7th-inning to give the Saints the 7-6 win.
• Bell (1-3) led the Bulldogs in game one with a hit and the team's only RBI.
• Young (1-2) and Kyleen Wilson (Windsor, Ontario) each tallied a hit in the losing effort.
• Young (2-4), Lightner (2-4), and I. Rogers (2-2) each tallied two hits and an RBI in the final game of the day.
• D. Rogers (1-2), Younan (1-4), and Branscum (1-4) also contributed to the cause with an RBI.
• Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) (L, 1-3) pitched 4.1 innings and allowed six hits, six runs, and struck out one batter.
• Rebecca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich.) got the start at pitcher for Adrian in game two. She pitched 5.0 innings and allowed four hits, four runs, and a home run while striking out three.
• Vail (L, 2-3) gave the games final three runs in 2.0 innings pitched.
• Racquel Ward led the Saints with two hits and three RBIs.
• Skylar Crenshaw and Cherry each also tallied two hits and two RBIs.
• Helmink had two hits--one home run--and scored two RBIs.
• Cherry also tallied two RBIs on one hit.
• Ward (W, 7-2) pitched all five innings, giving up three hits and one run while striking out five batters.
• Lauren Valdez got the start, pitching five innings and allowing nine hits, six runs, and one home run while striking out four batters.
• Lauren Best (W, 1-4) pitched two innings and allowed only one hit while striking out three batters to earn the win.
Adrian will travel to face Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opponent St. Mary's on Saturday, April 7, in a league doubleheader. Game one against the Belles is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m., ET.