ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College softball team split a non-conference doubleheader with Defiance on Monday afternoon at the AC Softball Field. The Bulldogs took game one with a sacrifice fly at the bottom of the seventh to win 2-1. The Yellow Jackets won game two 9-4. Taylor Van't Land had two hits and scored the winning run for Adrian in game one. Natalia Younan led the Bulldogs with two hits and three RBIs in the losing effort in game two.
Final Scores: GAME ONE: Adrian 2, Defiance 1; GAME TWO: Defiance 9, Adrian 4
Location: Adrian, Michigan (AC Softball Field)
Records: Adrian (10-20), Defiance (15-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Defiance took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning when Haley Patty hit a homerun to left field.
• Trailing in the seventh, Paige Cubberly doubled to left field to start off the bottom of the final inning for the Bulldogs.
• Defiance scored the first run in game two in the second and would extend the lead to five by scoring four more runs at the top of the fifth.
•Adrian cut the lead to three at the bottom of the fifth by scoring two runs in the half inning.
• The Yellow Jackets scored one run to put deficit back to four, 6-2. The Bulldogs scored two runs at the bottom of the inning to bring the score to 6-4, Defiance.
• The game was put away in the seventh after the Yellow Jackets scored three runs to extend the lead to 9-4 before putting the Adrian bats away in the bottom of the inning to seal the win.
• Van't Land tallied two hits and scored a run in game one.
• Cubberly and Lynch each had a hit in the game. Lynch and Shellman recorded a RBI each in the game one victory.
• Kaitlin Lock (W, 3-8) pitched all seven innings for the Bulldogs. She allowed seven hits, one run while striking out seven batters.
• Younan went 2-for-3, scoring one run, and three RBIs.
• Lynch (1-2) and Infinity Rogers (1-2) each tallied a hit for Adrian in game two.
• Jordan Osborne had two hits in game one to lead Defiance.
• Emily Denhard, Michaela Bauer, Libby Leach, Jessica Mello and Patty each had a hit in game one.
• Sarah Kaya (L, 8-8) pitched 6.2 innings allowing four hits and two runs while striking out three batters.
• Megan Warren, Kaity Kuhn, and Libby Leach each tallied two hits for Defiance in game two.
• Jackie Hartman and Warren led the team with two RBIs.
• Adrian hosts Albion on Thursday, April 20 in an MIAA doubleheader. Game one is scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. start.