WHEATON, Ill. – The Adrian College women's soccer team saw its season end in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament with a 1-0 loss in double overtime to Loras College on Friday, Nov. 9.
Final Score: Loras 1, Adrian 0
Location: Wheaton, Ill. (Joe Bean Stadium)
Records: Adrian 14-6-1 (7-1 MIAA), Loras 17-4 (7-1 ARC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Neither team was able to find the back of the net in regulation, with the score remaining 0-0 and destined for overtime. Adrian was relying on its stout defense like it had all year, weathering 26 Loras shot attempts in the first 90 minutes.
Overtime didn't see as much action towards the Bulldogs' goal, with Adrian conceding just one shot in the first extra period and two in the second. However, it would be a free kick from just outside the top of the box in the 103rd minute that would spell the end of Adrian's magical season.
The Bulldogs left it all out on the field in a match where the teams had to worry about more than just the players in opposite colored jerseys. Temperatures in Wheaton during the match were in the low 20's and snow was falling during the second half of the match and was sticking to the field, adding to the challenge.
Adrian's 14 wins this year is second most in program history, only behind the 17-win and regular season championship year in 2011.
• Sophomore Megan Louwers led the Bulldogs with three shots on goal.
• Davis and Rodeheffer added assists on the goal
• Junior Ayverie Giller made 15 saves in the match, the most an Adrian keeper has stopped in one match since 2000.
• Gretchen Schutz scored the goal for the Duhawks.
• Goalkeeper Kaylee Coble stopped all nine shots faced for the win.
#GoBulldogs | #BulldogProud | #GoDawgs