SALEM, Va. – The Adrian College women's soccer team fell to No. 16-ranked and Old Dominion Athletic Conference favorites Lynchburg on Sunday, Sep. 9 as part of the Roanoke Invitational Soccer Showcase.
Final Score: Lynchburg 3, Adrian 1
Location: Salem, Va. (Donald J. Kerr Stadium)
Records: Lynchburg 3-1 (0-0 ODAC), Adrian 1-3-1 (0-0 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lynchburg didn't waste any time getting on the board, sliding a shot in to the Bulldog net just over a minute into the game for the early lead. Lynchburg continued to pressure in the first half, but could not put another past Adrian's keeper, Ayverie Giller.
The Bulldogs started getting more chances in the later stages of the first half, and netted an equalizer just before the end of the half, courtesy of freshman Sabrina Weir, her first career goal.
Adrian came out strong in the second half, and had a few chances to take the lead, but just could not find a way to get another one past the Lynchburg defense.
Lynchburg found a way to shift the momentum back for the Hornets, and capitalized in the 78th minute, scoring twice in 42 seconds to secure the victory.
• Weir was the lone goal scorer for the Bulldogs, the first of her career.
• Junior Caroline Fleming led Adrian in shots with two.
• Giller made 13 saves in the game, tying her career high (Oct. 7, 2017 vs. Hope)
• Hannah Olds, Caitlin Mertens, and Kennedy Jakubek let the Hornets in shots and were the goal scorers for Lynchburg
• Goalkeeper Delie LoSapio played all 90 minutes and made two stops.
• "Our goal coming in to this tournament was to find the best possible competition so that we could continue to develop and prove to ourselves that we could play with anybody, and I think we accomplished that." – Head Coach Ali Alamdari
• "We have to get better at some of the little things that big games can hinge on, but we are so much better than we were on opening day. This weekend had the feel of the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament, so it's a great experience for us to prepare for where we eventually want to be." – Alamdari
The Bulldogs return to Adrian for a cross-town matchup at Siena Heights at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sep. 12, before hosting Michigan-Dearborn in the home opener at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sep. 15.
#GoBulldogs | #BulldogProud | #GoDawgs