ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's soccer team scored two second-half goals to overtake Calvin in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) action on Friday night at Docking Stadium. Rachel Rodeheffer scored her first goal as a Bulldog to give Adrian the 2-1 win.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Calvin 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (12-5-2, 9-4-2 MIAA), Calvin (12-7, 9-6 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Calvin took a 1-0 lead in the opening 20 minutes of the first half when Emily VanVeldhuisen dished a long through pass to Sydney Barcey who put the ball into the net.
Heading into halftime the Knights held advantages in shots (9-3) and corner kicks (4-3). The Bulldogs held the edge in saves with five.
Rodeheffer put Adrian up 2-1 in the 76th minute. off a header from a Claire Baghera corner kick.
• Rachel Rodeheffer scored her first career game-winning goal with her header in the second half. She tallied two shot attempts in the game.
• Caroline Fleming led the Bulldogs with three shot attempts (two on goal) and an assist.
• Ayverie Giller (W, 12-4-2) saved eight of the nine shots she faced in her 12th win of the season.
• Sydney Barcey scored the Knights only goal of the game.
• Abby Koops had a team-high four shots on goal in the losing effort.
• Kali Mouw tallied a shot on goal.
"I don't know that we played our best soccer tonight, but we always talk about the importance of winning on a bad day, and I'm proud that our young women fought through difficult conditions and allowing an early goal to come back and get a critical win against a very talented opponent." - Head Coach Ali Alamdari
"You always want to send your seniors off their home field with one last victory, and you could sense that our entire team was focused on making sure that was the result. We'll prepare for Monday's match and keep an eye on other results to see if we end up hosting a tournament game." - Coach Alamdari
With the win, the Bulldogs sit firmly in the third seed in the MIAA standings. Adrian can clinch the third seed with a win on Monday against St. Mary's. If Olivet loses its last two games of the season then the Bulldogs can land the second seed and host a semifinal game.
Adrian travels to Notre Dame, Indiana to close the regular season against St. Mary's on Monday, October 30. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., ET.