ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's soccer scored once in each half to cruise to a 2-0 victory over conference opponent Trine. Sophomore Claire Baghera (Ada, Mich.) bagged her third assist of the season on what turned out to be the game-winning goal for the Bulldogs in the opening half.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Trine 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (3-2, 2-1 MIAA), Trine (4-2, 0-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian came out fast, controlling the pace of play from the opening whistle. The Bulldogs hustled past Trine and created a few good scoring chances in the first half. The first chance came off a header from Mya Oleksiak (freshman, Shelby, Mich.) that pinged off the crossbar and out of play. The second chance was also a header, this time from senior Mackenzie Wilcox (Battle Creek, Mich.) that went just wide left. Oleksiak got another chance in the 42nd minute when Baghera dished a through pass into the box and Oleksiak beat Trine goalkeeper, Kristina Veljovic (L, 4-2), for her first career goal.
Going into halftime, the Bulldogs tallied 12 shots while allowing the Thunder only two shot attempts. Adrian also attempted three corner kicks while Trine only tallied one.
The Bulldogs started the second half where they left off the first. Caroline Fleming (sophomore, Grosse Ile, Mich.) gave Adrian a cushion when she scored on a penalty in the 65th of the game.
• Oleksiak tallied five shots in the game, three of which were on goal.
• Fleming led the Bulldogs with eight shot attempts, three on goal.
• Rachel Rodeheffer (sophomore, Commerce Twp., Mich.) also tallied a shot on goal.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Ayverie Giller (W, 3-1), saved all three shots she faced in the game.
• Marisa Robinett tallied three shot attempts (2 on goal) to lead the Thunder.
• Courtney Reece finished with one shot on goal.
• Veljovic saved five of the seven shots she faced.
Adrian will play the second of a five game home stand on Thursday, September 14, when the Bulldogs host a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association contest against the Britons of Albion at 7:00 p.m., ET.