ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team lost a heartbreaker to Hope, 11-10, in the team's Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opener at Docking Stadium on Wednesday night. Annie Rice led the Bulldogs, scoring a hat trick and adding an assist to her point total for the game.
Final Score: Hope 11, Adrian 10
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Docking Stadium)
Records: Hope (3-4, 1-0 MIAA), Adrian (1-6, 0-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Bulldogs struck quickly with Mariesa Johnson scoring twice in the opening five minutes to put Adrian up 2-0.
• Hope responded with two goals from Alexandra Webb to tie the game with 22:12 left in the half.
• Webb and Emily Deane scored for the Flying Dutch to cut the lead to one goal (5-4) with 11:56 left to play in the half.
• The Bulldogs would take an 8-4 lead into the locker room at the half after Rice scored her second and Carter scored her second and third goals of the game.
• Annika Nuler and Rice scored for Adrian to open the second half. The goals gave the Bulldogs a 10-4 lead.
• Hope would rally back scoring six straight goals to tie the game at 10 with 1:34 remaining to play.
• Adrian won the draw control and had an opportunity to score the game-winning goal but the Bulldogs turned the ball over in the offensive end and the Flying Dutch were able to score the game-winner with just five seconds remaining in the game.
• Rice (3-1) led the Bulldogs in points with three goals and one assist as well as in ground balls with seven.
• Carter scored three goals, hauled in four ground balls, four draw controls, and had two caused turnovers.
• Johnson finished with two goals, four ground balls, and one draw control.
• Webb scored five goals and had two assists. She also had four ground balls and one caused turnover.
• Madeline Shupe score three times, had five groundballs, and two caused turnovers.
• Serena Harris and Kym led the Dutch with five ground balls.
• Adrian hosts Olivet on Tuesday, April 11 at 4:00 p.m.