ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's hockey team cruised to a 7-2 victory over St. Scholastica Friday night at Arrington Ice Arena. The Bulldogs have started the season 5-0 for the first time in program history. Adrian also extended its regular season home Northern Collegiate Hockey Association unbeaten streak to 15. It's also the 19th straight NCHA regular season home win for the Bulldogs.
Final Score: Adrian 7, St. Scholastica 2
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Adrian (5-0, 5-0), St. Scholastica (4-3, 2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Period: Adrian 2, St. Scholastica 0
• Adrian scored two power-play goals in the opening period to take a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
• The Bulldogs edged the Saints in shots, 12-9 in the period.
Second Period: Adrian 6, St. Scholastica 2
• Schroka and Shureb would record their second goals of the night. Just like the first period, Schroka struck first, off the assist from Shureb, in the second less than two minutes into the period. Shureb would score 18 seconds later, assisted by Lewicki and Schroka, for her second goal of the evening to put the Bulldogs up 4-0.
• The Saints would respond with two quick goals to cut the Adrian lead in half, 4-2.
• Emily Stegora scored an unassisted power-play goal with 15:27 left in the second period. Just under two minutes later she scored another goal, assisted by Sierra Hanowski, to put the score at 4-2.
• Lupi scored her first goal of the season, a shorthanded goal, with 12:54 left in the period. Schroka recorded her third assist, a game-high. She followed that up by scoring another goal in the last five minutes of the period, assisted by Lexie Tzafaroglou and Hannah Dalrymple.
• Adrian significantly increased its shot output in the second period, outshooting the Saints 23-10.
Third Period: Adrian 7, St. Scholastica 2
• Lewicki would get her first goal on the board in the final period. She was assisted by Shureb, her second assist of the game.
• The final shot count was 41-21 in favor of the Bulldogs.
• Adrian went 2-9 (.222) on the power play; St. Scholastica went 1-8 (.125).
• Schroka finished with five points (2,3), a +3 and went 19-29 in the faceoff circle.
• Shureb tallied four points (2,2), a +2 and was a perfect 1-1 in faceoffs.
• Lupi (2,1) and Lewicki (1,2) each contributed three points and had a +2. Lupi was 2-8 in faceoffs; Lewicki went 3-4.
• Brooke Gibson (W, 5-0) saved 19 of the 21 shots she faced.
• Stegora scored both Saint goals. Hanowski had the lone assist for St. Scholastica.
• Hanowski was the team's main faceoff selection, going 16-25 in the circle.
• Adrian will host NCHA opponent Finlandia on Sunday, November 20 at 12:00 p.m.