HIRAM, OHIO -- The Adrian College men's volleyball team split its two matches on the second day of the Hiram Invitational. The Bulldogs pushed Illinois Tech to five sets in the opening match of the day, but the Scarlet Hawks were able to earn the 3-2 victory. Adrian then defeated host Hiram in four sets to finish off the day.
Final Scores: Illinois Tech 3, Adrian 2 (30-32, 25-16, 25-23, 21-25, 21-19) | Adrian 3, Hiram 1 (17-25, 25-14, 25-13, 25-14)
Location: Hiram, Ohio (Price Gymnasium)
Record: Adrian (7-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian pushed Illinois Tech to five sets in the first match of the day. The Bulldogs pulled out a 32-30 decision in the opening set to take an early 1-0 lead. The Scarlet Hawks knotted things up after a 25-16 win in the second set. Illinois Tech held Adrian to a .079 hitting percentage while registering a .225 percentage.
The Scarlet Hawks took their first lead of the match when they escaped the third set with a 25-23 decision to put the set score at 2-1. The Bulldogs tied the match with their second set win in the fourth set to force the fifth.
Much like the first set, Adrian pushed Illinois Tech to extra time, but the Bulldogs were unable to pull out a late win in the fifth, falling to the Scarlet Hawks 21-19.
Hiram took a quick 1-0 lead over Adrian with a 25-17 win in the opening set of the Bulldogs second match of the day. Adrian fired back with a 25-14 win in the second set. The team had a .444 hitting percentage in the set while holding the Terriers to .000.
The Bulldogs improved on the team hitting percentage in the third set, hitting .474, while Hiram struggled with a -.091 percentage. Adrian finished the match in the next set with a 25-14 set four decision.
Game One: Illinois Tech def. Adrian, 3-2
• Noach Marcinkowski (Menifee, Calif.) led the Bulldogs with 19 kills while tallying seven digs in the first match of the day.
• Kevin Curley (Zion, Ill.) registered 10 kills, one assist, one service ace, a team-high 18 digs, and four blocks.
• Joseph Campana (Los Angeles, Calif.) registered a season-high 51 assists--one assist short of tying his career-high in that category--to pace the Bulldog offense. He also finished with 11 digs and two block assists.
• Kyle Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) recorded 15 digs to contribute on defense.
• Marcinkowski led Adrian in the second match with 17 kills to bring his total for the day to 36 kills.
• Michael Burkhardt (Whitehall, Pa.) finished with eight kills, two digs, and two solo blocks.
• Campana had 34 assists (85 for the day), seven digs, and two blocks.
• Eduardo Aleman (Chicago, Ill.) led Adrian with 15 digs in match number two.
• Bell also contributed on defense with 12 digs.
• Cinjun Coe led the Scarlet Hawks with 33 kills while also having 11 digs.
• Daniel Throop set the tone offensively with 48 assists. He contributed on defense with 17 digs.
• Derek Bostick had a match-high 20 digs.
• Cory Fischer led the Terriers with 13 kills and 10 digs.
• Jake Lininger paced the offense with 30 assists.
• Cole Filer finished with four blocks (1 solo, 3 assists).
Adrian wraps up its season next Friday, April 6 when the team hosts Olivet at 7:00 p.m., ET. The match is senior day.