NAPERVILLE, ILL. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team split in its tri-match at North Central (Ill.). The Bulldogs lost the first match in three straight sets against the host Cardinals before sweeping Maranatha Baptist in the second game of the day. Kevin Curley (Zion, Ill.) led the Bulldogs attack with 21 kills between the two matches.
Final Scores: North Central 3, Adrian 0 (25-16, 25-18, 26-24) / Adrian 3, Maranatha Baptist 0 (25-13, 25-22, 25-23)
Location: Naperville, Illinois (Gregory Arena)
Records: Adrian (3-8, 1-3 MCVL), North Central (10-6, 3-0 MCVL), Maranatha Baptist (2-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
North Central built a nine-point lead (20-11) and was able to maintain it to take a quick 1-0 lead. Adrian kept the score close throughout the second set but was unable to gain the advantage as the Cardinals were able to maintain a small lead and pull out the 2-0 start.
The third set started out all NCC who held a 13-7 lead but Adrian was able to rally and tie the game at 20 before taking a 22-21 lead. After North Central tied the score at 22. The Cardinals had match point (24-23) but an attack error tied the score at 24. NCC was able to close out the match by scoring two consecutive points to earn the 26-24 win in set three.
The Bulldogs jumped out to a quick 4-1 lead in the first set of game two before Maranatha Baptist scored four straight points for a 5-4 lead. The score was tied at seven before Adrian rattled off three consecutive points for a 10-7 lead. The Bulldogs were able to stretch the lead to 12 by the end of the first for a 1-0 lead.
The second set was all Adrian as the Bulldogs jumped out to a 4-0 lead and never trailed for the remainder of the set for a 2-0 lead. The third set was much closer as the score was tied 13 times, the final time at 20, but Adrian was able to hold on for a 25-23 win and a sweeping victory.
• Curley had eight kills, one assist, seven digs, and a block in game one. He added 13 kills, one assist, a service ace, and six digs in the second match.
• Noah Marcinkowski (Menifee, Calif.) had 12 kills in the opening match and eight in the second for a day total of 20. He also tallied 11 digs between the two matches.
• Joseph Campana (Los Angeles, Calif.) paced the Bulldog offense with 58 assists on the day. He also recorded six kills and 14 digs.
• Kyle Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) finished with a two-match total of 18 digs.
• NCC Leaders: Bozhidar Kolev 12 kills - Michael Trunzo 32 assists - Samuel Kharasch nine digs - Nick Lilley and Casey Hiller three blocks.
• MBU Leaders: Derek Wallis 20 kills - Matt Wetzel 16 assists - Derek Wallis nine digs - Devon Steuerwald three blocks.
Adrian will return home to host Olivet on Tuesday, March 6 at 7:00 p.m., ET, in a match that was originally scheduled for Saturday, February 24, 2018.