ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team was competitive in all three sets but fell to the host Saints on Saturday. Joseph Campana paced the Adrian attack with 26 assists in the match.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, Adrian 0 (27-25, 25-22, 25-22)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Siena Heights Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (2-0), Adrian (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs jumped out to a 4-2 lead early in the first set before the Saints took the lead 5-4. After Adrian tied the game on the following volley Siena scored nine of the next 11 points to hold a 14-7 advantage.
The Bulldogs would respond, scoring nine of the next of the next 11 points to tie the game at 16. The Saints would pull ahead again, 24-21, before Adrian would rally and tie the set at 24. SHU would score two straight points to take the first set, 27-25, for a 1-0 lead.
Much like the first set, the Bulldogs jumped out to a 4-2 lead in the second. The Saints would tie the score at four and again at five before taking a 6-5 lead. The score remained close until the SHU went on a 6-2 run that earned them a 17-12 advantage. Adrian responded with five straight points to tie the score at 17. Siena would again take a small lead, 20-18, in which the Bulldogs would respond by tying the score at 20. The Saints scored five of the last seven points to pull out the 25-22 set-two victory.
The third set mimicked the previous two, with the score remaining close throughout. Just like the previous two, the Saints would edge the Bulldogs 25-22 to earn the 3-0 victory.
Adrian had a match-high .312 team hitting percentage at the conclusion of the first set. The also stay above zero in the final two sets with percentages of .081 and .053.
• Michael Burkhardt led the Bulldogs with nine kills. He also tallied an assist and two block assists.
• Mike Gold recorded eight kills, one dig, and four block assists.
• Campana added a service ace, eight digs, and a block assist to his stat line.
• Jeremy Belgrave led the Saints with a match-high 16 kills. He also contributed 10 digs on defense.
• Alex Garavalia finished with 11 kills to help on the attack.
• Keegan Crawford had 35 assists to set the tone offensively for SHU.
• Jack Pranckus had a match-high 16 digs.
The Bulldogs will remain in Adrian, Michigan this week as the team will host Fontbonne on Friday, January 26. The game will be held in the Fieldhouse on the campus of Siena Heights at 8:00 p.m., EST.