ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team was defeated by No. 1 Calvin 5-1 on Saturday night in Docking Stadium. Brandon Katona scored the lone Adrian goal in the second half.
Final Score: Calvin 5, Adrian 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Calvin (13-0-1, 9-0-1 MIAA), Adrian (6-5-2, 5-3-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Calvin scored off an assist from Mitch Stark at the 9:19 mark to give the Knights that 1-0 lead. Shaeffer Smith scored off a pass from Ian Adams to give Calvin a 2-0 cushion heading into halftime. The Knights outshot the Bulldogs 10-5 in the first. Calvin also had the advantage in corner kicks (4-1) and shots on goal (4-3).
Katona's goal split the Calvin lead in half in the 52nd minute. Katona scored off an assist from Tad Davis. Dillion Weldy scored to bring the Knight lead back to two goals, 3-1. Schaeffer Smith scored two more goals to complete the hat trick and put Calvin ahead 5-1.
At the end of regulation, Calvin led in shots (20-12), shots on goal (12-7), and corner kicks (6-1).
• Katona scored on his only shot attempt in the game.
• Davis tallied an assist and had two shot attempts (one on goal).
• Jordan Miller had a team-high three shot attempts with two on goal.
• Spencer Brown (L, 3-2-2) made seven saves in the game.
• Smith scored on all three of his shot attempts for Calvin.
• Ian Adams finished with two assists.
• Mitch Stark had one assist.
• Nate Van Ryn (W, 13-0-1) saved six of the seven shots he faced.
Adrian travels to Albion on Tuesday night to face the Britons in MIAA action. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., ET.