HOLLAND, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team scored on a penalty kick less than a minute into overtime to win 3-2 at Hope on Tuesday, October 3. Zach Combs scored the game-winner in overtime to give the Bulldogs the win.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Hope 2 F/OT
Location: Holland, Michigan (DeVos Fieldhouse)
Records: Adrian (5-4-1, 4-2-1 MIAA), Hope (5-5-1, 4-2-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams played a defensive first half to take a 0-0 tie into the locker room at the half. Adrian attempted three shots and Hope two. The Bulldogs got one shot on goal in the opening half.
Adrian broke the deadlock in the second half when Sean Cain was able to beat the keeper with a header off a Garrett Miller corner kick in the 50th minute. The Flying Dutchmen tied the game in the 57th minute when Ryan Woodside dished an assist to David White.
In the 60th minute, Zachary Roller scored to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead. Dalton Bruso tied things up for the second time in the 83rd minute to force overtime.
In the opening minute of overtime, Combs scored on his penalty kick after a Hope foul in the box.
The Flying Dutchmen edged Adrian 13-11 in shot attempts. The Bulldogs finished with a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks and 4-2 in saves.
• Combs, Cain, and Roller each scored for Adrian.
• Combs led the Bulldogs with three shot attempts, two of which were on goal.
• Miller had Adrian's only assist.
• Spencer Brown (W, 2-1-1) saved four of the six shots he faced in the win.
• Bruso and White scored for Hope.
• Woodside recorded the team's only assist.
• White led the Flying Dutchmen with three shot attempts.
• Blair McCormick (L, 2-2-1) made two saves for the night.
Adrian travels to face Olivet on Saturday, October 7. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:00 p.m., ET.