ADRIAN, Mich.--The nationally ranked Adrian College men's hockey team (No. 7 NCAA PairWise/No. 8 USCHO.com/No. 9 D3hockey.com) travels to Ashwaubenon, Wis., this weekend to play host St. Norbert College in the 2019 Northern Collegiate Hockey Association Harris Cup championship game on Saturday (8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT) in Cornerstone Community Ice Center located at 1640 Fernando Drive. The programs are meeting in this scenario for the fifth season in a row.
This is a match-up of the top two overall seeds in the conference tournament as No. 2 Adrian claimed the title in 2015 and 2016 while No. 1 St. Norbert won in 2017 and 2018. This marks the first time since the 2013-14 season that the NCHA championship game isn't being played at Adrian's Arrington Ice Arena.
TEN THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The seven-time Harris Cup champion Bulldogs are 20-7-1 on the season after defeating MSOE in the quarterfinal round (L, 3-1; W, 7-1; won mini-game 2-0) and Lake Forest in the semifinals (W, 5-1).
- Fifth-year Adrian head coach Adam Krug '12, who was the NCHA Coach of the Year in 2015 and last season, owns a 112-28-7 (.785) school and career record with four Peters Cup regular-season crowns under his belt.
- Adrian is represented on the All-NCHA team by three seniors: four-year honoree and team captain Cory Dunn (5+26=31) on defense, two-time winner Trevor Boyd (13+10=23) at forward and Dunn's defensive partner Braden Hellems (11+16=27).
- Senior forward Bryan Yim leads the team with 15 goals among 23 points. Yim became the third Bulldog this season alone to surpass 100 career points and the 17th overall in team history.
- Dunn is tied among NCAA Division III defensemen with 26 assists and 31 points. His assist totals are one shy of tying his career high heading into the postseason--he had 27 in each of the past two seasons.
- Boyd has made an impact in NCHA contests during the season, leading the conference with 10 goals and five power play goals while recording seven assists. His AC career ranks are 116 points for 14th, 65 goals for fourth, nine game-winning goals for eighth and 18 power play goals for an eighth-place tie.
- Hellems has emerged as an offensive weapon on the team's primary power play unit with a career-best eight goals with the man-advantage--a figure that is tied for seventh in the nation and leads the NCHA. His previous career highs are five goals in 2018, 16 assists in 2018) and 21 total points in 2018.
- Adrian is 7-4-1 on the road (1-0 at a neutral site) with 33 goals-for and 37 goals-against. On the season, the Bulldogs have outscored their opponents 102 to 69 while outshooting them by a plus-408 margin (1,057-649).
- After suffering back-to-back losses for the only time this season to Canton and Lake Forest, Adrian has won 10 of its last 12 outings by a combined score of 44 to 27.
- Goalie Kevin Entmaa is 16-5-1 as a senior with a 2.00 goals-against average and .908 save percentage. He ranks second in most career statistical categories at the school, including 61 wins (61-17-3) and 1,894 saves.
ABOUT ST. NORBERT
- The Green Knights, who are the two-time defending conference tournament champions and 2018 NCAA winner, are 21-4-3 overall after sweeping Finlandia in the quarterfinals (W, 2-1 and 9-0) and beating Marian in the semifinals (W, 6-2).
- 2019 Coach of the Year Tim Coghlin has led the Green Knights to a pair of top-5 rankings (#3 USCHO.com/#4 D3Hockey.com) in both recognized national polls. SNC also is fifth in the latest NCAA PairWise computer rankings.
- Senior goalie T.J. Black (20-4-2, 1.63 GAA, .928 save percentage in 1548:44 of action) is a three-time All-NCHA honoree and senior forward Riley Christensen (12+19=31), who led the NCHA in scoring with 22 points (8G/14A) in league play, is one of eight different players throughout the league earning All-NCHA for the first time.
- Sophomore defenseman Luke Davison (2+20=22), junior forward Dominick Sacco (11+16=27) and senior forward Roman Uchyn (13+15=28) give SNC a league-best five members on the all-conference squad.
- Brendon Gysbers is the NCHA Co-Freshman of the Year with 4+22=26 scoring totals.
- St. Norbert leads Adrian in the all-time series, 11-8, including a split of the regular-season as the Bulldogs won at home 4-3 in overtime on Nov. 10 and the SNC was victorious, 7-0, on home-ice on Jan. 25. The teams are meeting in the postseason for the eighth time.
LAST TIME OUT
- Junior Matt McNair (8+8=16 scoring totals on the season) led the offense with a goal and an assist in a 5-1 win over Lake Forest on Feb. 23, clinching Adrian's spot in the NCHA finale.
- Entmaa posted 22 saves for his 16th win on the season, which ties his career high of 16-4 record last season and ties for the sixth-best single-season mark in AC history.
- Adrian dominated the Foresters on face-offs, winning 47 of 78 draws. Armour went 15-for-20 and Yim was 6-for-8.
LAST TIME OUT...vs SNC GREEN KNIGHTS
- Adrian couldn't get anything on track in a 7-0 loss on the road two months ago. The Green Knights broke open a close game in the third period when they scored five times. The Bulldogs, however, have reeled off seven wins in eight games since then.
The winner of the NCHA Harris Cup receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Championship. The loser is hopeful for an at-large bid when the 12-team field is announced Monday, March 4, at 10:30 a.m. Eastern via NCAA.com.
#TheBrotherhood #AdrianBulldogs #GoDawgs #BulldogProud #TraditionNeverDies